A List of the Nation’s Worst Performing Nursing Homes
With the number of older adults growing at unprecedented rates each year, communities must begin to direct more attention and resources to serve the needs of that group.
In June 2019, a list created by the U.S. Senate committee and two Pennsylvania Senators, revealed over 400 of the nation’s lowest ranking nursing homes. These low rankings were due to the consistently poor health inspections.
Due to their inadequacy, these facilities have become candidates or participants in the federal Special Focus Facility (SFF) program. This program aims to increase transparency and oversight of failing senior facilities.
Lowest Ranking Nursing Homes in California
Out of the over 400 lowest ranking nursing homes listed, 28 are located in California. The California facilities are listed as follows:
Special Focus Facility Participants in California as of April 2019
Special Focus Facility Candidates in California as of April 2019
- Beverly West Healthcare, Los Angeles
- Corona Post Acute, Corona
- Del Rio Gardens Care Center, Bell Gardens
- Downey Community Health Center, Downey
- Fircrest Convalescent Hospital, Sebastopol
- Fortuna Rehabilitation and Wellness Center, LP, Fortuna
- Good Shepherd Hlth Care Ctr of Santa Monica, Santa Monica
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center D/P SNF, Los Angeles
- Lake Forest Nursing Center, Lake Forest
- Lakeview Terrace, Los Angeles
- Lakewood Healthcare Center, Downey
- Lancaster Health Care Center, Lancaster
- Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, Gardena
- Long Beach Healthcare Center, Long Beach
- Merritt Manor Convalescent Hospital, Tulare
- Millbrae Skilled Care, Millbrae
- Olympia Convalescent Hospital, Los Angeles
- Riverside Postacute Care, Riverside
- Royal Palms Post Acute, Glendale
- Santa Anita Convalescent Hosp, Temple City
- Sky Harbor Care Center, Yucca Valley
- Shadowbrook Post Acute, Oroville
- Terracina Post Acute, Redlands
- Wellsprings Post Acute Center, Lancaster
- Windsor Gardens Convalescent Center of Long Beach, Long Beach
- Windsor Palms Care Center of Artesia, Artesia
- Woodland Care Center, Reseda
- Yuba Skilled Nursing Center, Yuba City
As almost 1.5 millions Americans spend their later years of life being cared for in nursing facilities, California, along with other states, are in great need of trustworthy homes for the aging community. The current shortage of caregivers in California and rise in elder abuse warrant reliable homes and caring communities for seniors. Families should have confidence in the places they have hired to provide care for their loved ones.
To read the full report, Families’ and Residents’ Right to Know: Uncovering Poor Care in America’s Nursing Homes, click this link. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free at 866.988.3956 to learn how we can help protect you or the senior in your life.